Sunday, June 10, 2007

Dude, you're getting a Dell...job

After the ups and downs of waiting tables for 3 months, I'm considered a pro. While it's nice to know that I've mastered the art of serving food, yahoo (sarcasm), the job sucks horriby. In our endless searching for replacement jobs, Ashley came across an advertisement for a Dell career fair. After 2 interveiws they called me back to tell me that things went well, and they'd like to have me come up to the Nashville campus for testing. After the testing I waited, nervously, for a call saying things had gone well again; at that point I really wanted the job. I received the call from Sam, in talent acquisition, after about a week. He offered me the position but there were some problems. The first 5 weeks of the job are training, and I'm not allowed to miss even one day. With JD and Sara coming to town and fulfilling my duties as an usher in a wedding on the 23rd, I wasn't able to accept the start date he proposed. He told me July was a possibility, and that he was 90% sure I'd be able to start then. June 1st, 2007 Dell announces a loss in market share, and lays off 10% of their workforce globally, 8,000 people. AAAARRRRGHHHH!!! at this point I'm thinking, well at least I didn't take the job in June, only to get laid off a week later. On June, 5, Sam called me back to let me know that they had in fact approved a July class, and that he'd like me to be a part of it!
YAHOO!!! (no sarcasm) So, now I'm just waiting for July, so I can stop saying "Welcome to Puleo's, can I start you off with a Big Orange Belinni, a Puleo's pina colada, or a glass of our secret sangria?" However, those word will probably be replaced by some other corporate phrase...oh well.
-M

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good thing Sam didn't ask about your personal computer!

Anne Koski said...

Heyyyy, I like that new banner.